Tutu Bags

When you have a tutu you need something to carry it in! For Locket’s first tutu I decided to make her a special bag. One that would be easy to recognise and not get mistaken as belonging to someone else.

I used a pattern from Tutu.com. You need to scroll partway down the page to see the info and image.

Here is Lockets one from the front. Locket chose the fabric. It is a curtaining fabric, a good strong 100% cotton. I wanted this top layer to be able to breathe. Tutus absorb body moisture, such as perspiration. In plastic the tutu can “sweat” which isn’t good for the fabric it is made of!
The base is Oxford Nylon, a stronger fabric than parka nylon. Locket chose the colour to co-ordinate with the top fabric. The idea of the bag is that it can be folded in half and carried on your shoulder. My thinking was that folded with this layer outermost it would protect the tutu from rain if we had to walk a wee way to the theatre . . . and it was raining  😐  Locket only has the one tutu so I made the bag flat. I.e. the back and front joined together. However a gussett can be added between the top and base to allow up to three tutus to be carried in one bag.
I didn’t take any other photos while making Lockets bag, but I did when I made a tutu bag for the lovely Miss N  😀
One of the first things I do after cutting out the pattern – two circles!! – is to attach some snaps to a length of webbing, then sew it into the centre of the nylon base. The tailors chalk will rub out later  😉
Here you can see the whole length of webbing. The strap goes through the crotch of the tutu to hold it in place, otherwise the tulle can get a bit crumpled.

Next step is to bind the edge of just over half of each circle. Why just over half? It gives a wide opening and makes it a lot easier to slide the tutu out, keeping it flat while doing so. A lot of the time a zip is used. I chose snaps for Lockets bag and let Miss N know the two options. Miss N chose snaps as well – purple, as you can see.

Starting the binding process, with self-fabric binding, made with the help of my bias binding machine.

Top and base fabrics both bound.
I stitched my label in with the binding. Next is adding the straps.
Marking out so the strap ends are equidistant from the centre.
One side, this one is between the two layers. Facing into the centre of the bag so that when the bag is turned inside out the strap will be on the outside! I have been known to get it wrong, leading to a lot of unpicking and  red cheeks!  :”> 
 
And the top. This one faces out as it doesn’t need to be sewn between the two layers. 
Here I’ve stitched the top fabric and base together and secured the bound edges together at the ends. I over-locked the two layers together to neaten them.
 
These are the snaps. The caps, and a stud (male) and socket (female) parts – I kid you not  :))  The stud is at the top, a cap with the prong showing, a 2nd cap, and the socket. I use a Kam Snap press, like the one in the photo below, to apply the snaps.
Photo – Green Beans

It was a gift to me from a niece a few years ago and is very handy. I get the snaps from Green Beans and have built up a stash of colours  :-$

Here is the finished tutu bag, snaps applied and all ready for it’s tutu!

Thanks for visiting my blog  🙂

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *