Sewing for exams

October 2016

Each year the students at the studio sit Royal Academy of Dance ballet exams. Dancers come in all shapes & sizes and occasionally they are of a larger build and find it hard to fit a standard size leotard. I was asked to make a leotard for one pupil plus a chiffon skirt & character skirt for another.

I took a few photos although as it turns out my small camera was on its last legs so the photos are not great.

Cutting out the lining. I used Power mesh as the lining to give a bit more support than the usual lycra lining I use. Years ago I was given a whole lot of out-of-date survey maps on stock card paper and they have been great for patterns I use over and over again. All ready to be cut out.

The leotard from the front. Once again I used Jalie 2915 joining the pantie to the bodice part and continuing the front seams down to the leg line. These shots are a bit fuzzy 😟

Straps added to the front . . .
Pinned at the back ready for a fitting on Miss A to get the length right. 
Photo credit to Locket
Miss A ready for her exam with classmate Master B. Miss A was very happy with her bespoke leotard. It is a tad long in the body so will hopefully do her for a few years as she gains height. 
I got a couple of photos of the chiffon skirt I made for Miss R. I have a post here from a couple of years ago with more on the making of these skirts. Miss R is another lass who is fit and flexible with a more solid build.
This is what it looks like with the bias ribbon pinned . . . lots of pins!
I generally place the pins close together as it gives me better control when I am stitching the binding down.
Photo credit to Locket
Miss Z, Miss R and Miss T all ready for their exam. Miss R requested her skirt be a little longer than chiffon skirts generally are.
All of the students who sat exams passed them  😃  Thanks for reading!

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *